Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Certifiable

When I was nine years old, I had to sit through a training course in order to be allowed to ride an ATV.
When I wanted to play Soccer in Junior High, I had to get a physical. Cough, cough.
When I wanted to get my learner permit, I had to take driver training.
When I wanted my driver’s license, I had to take a written test, an eye test, and driving test.
When I wanted to go to college, I had to take the SATs, fill out an application and write an essay.
When I wanted to go to grad school, I had to take the GREs, fill out an application and write several essays.
When I wanted to go to work for the government, I had to have an extensive background investigation and take an oath.
When I wanted to get married, I had to ask my wife’s parents for permission, get a license, go to premarital counseling, and say vows.
When I wanted to buy a house, I had to get insurance and sign a pile of papers.
When I wanted a dog, I (or rather my wife) had to go to South Carolina to avoid home visits and signing away our live to the ASPCA.
Yet, to be entrusted with a very small, very fragile, living baby I have to ummmm, well, let me think… No test, no license, no oath… huh?
Oh man, it’s like handing me the keys to a Learjet. Don’t worry Dad, I’ll figure it out. To make matters worse, my fatherhood mentors are named Andy, Big A, Guido, Dick and Buster - all of them more than 600 miles away. I hope my wife knows something I don’t… but I think that is probably a pretty safe bet. Although, she did marry me. Maybe that was just a temporary lapse in judgement.

Comments:
ah, I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody is trusting YOU with anything. You're just there to drive the car on the way home from the hospital.

By the way, that is why you are supposed to have several children - much like atvs, cars, and learjets, the first couple are just for practice.
 
hey, why did you list me first? I'll just assume its because I am the best...
 
Its for dramatic affect. You have the most normal name... I didn't want to use your official title A. Richard Gagknee-king of show biz.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?