Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Victoria, oh, Victoria.

I had to go to an event across town today… not particularly noteworthy, but it did give me an opportunity to ride in a couple unique cabs.

To the event: Typical Ford Crown Vic cab. Bad paint job, vinyl seat cover, etc. After a couple blocks, I hear a weird sound over the noise of a squeaking right front wheel bearing: a random ticking noise. From the back seat I look over at the oil pressure gauge. Looks fine. Tick. Uh-oh… the noise is the oil pressure gauge going from a normal range to absolute zero. Tick, tick… up down, up down. It makes me want to vomit. We get stuck in traffic a couple blocks from my destination. Tick, tick… up down, up down. “I’ll just walk from here.” “Are you sure?” “Yes, I am.”

Back to the office: Another Ford Crown Vic, but this is an earlier generation Crown Vic station wagon. Other than an unusually loud exhaust, this cab seems mechanically sound. It was clean, but had a distinct “car built in the 1980’s” smell. It’s like the smell of a vintage wine. Well, maybe not quite a vintage wine, maybe a pleasant perfume of an old friend.

Comments:
Car built in the 80s smell. Mmmm.

Another car smell that I enjoy, Car in a junkyard.
 
the little trees air freshener company has Leather scent and New Car scent. I wonder if they could created 80s Car scent and Junkyard Car scent.

Also, Grandmas car scent. Although, I wouldn't buy it.
 
Grandmas Car scent - a delicate mix of urine, flowery perfume and very old peppermint hard candy.
 
Wow... is that your grandma in particular? Or one of your wife's grandmothers?

My grandfather's truck had a unique smell. Leather gloves, sawdust, and chain saw oil. That's a good combination.
 
peperes car probably smells like english leather.
 
actually, i was thinking of one of my great aunts, but i figured people could relate to grandma better.

haha. yeah. thats a great one. your dads truck is just diesel.
 
pepere gagne's car had a very unique smell, mike. i dont know what it was because i was too young but to this day if i smell something similar i instantly think of his cream colored 78 Nova.
 
The diesel fuel on clothes smell always reminds me of Dad. When I walk by a bus in the city, the exhaust smell makes me feel nostalgic.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?