Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Baby Steps


Our family pet is not nearly as blood thirsty or ferocious as Andy’s miniature panther Papi. But our dog Shelby had a big breakthrough this week. Almost a year after being rescued from a shelter in South Carolina, Shelby overcame her crippling emotional pain and barked. I wasn’t there to hear it, but my wife was. The baby was crying and the doorbell rang; it was more than Shelby could take. From the safety of our bedroom she sounded the alarm and barked... not a soft wimper or a cry... a real live, loud and proud bark. She hasn’t barked since, but the next thing you know she will be approaching strangers and eating her dog food without being afraid of the noise it makes in her mouth when she chews. You go Shelby… you are making me proud.

Comments:
I would pay good money for a dog that was afraid to bark. Mine barks at everything and drives me nuts.
 
yeah, Big A.

your dog is quite frightening.
 
My dog is not frightening, but it IS stupid.
 
Shelby is quite smart. She is just very afraid of everything.
 
I would gladly trade my dog's emotional well-being for some intelligence. Although, he did manage to outsmart the elctro-shock-anti-bark collar we bought him.
 
she was afraid of me with my hat on, with hat off, well, she was still afraid of me, but at least she would stay in the same room.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?