Friday, June 23, 2006

Under Pressure

Um bu bu bum da de
Pressure pushing down on me
Pressing down on you no man ask for
Under pressure - that burns a building down
Splits a family in two
Puts people on streets
Um ba ba be

This morning I had to stop at the local lab for a drug test. Not something that would generally cause me any concern -- the most powerful stimulants in my system are Starbucks coffee and Hershey's dark chocolate. With the diet and my recent stomach issues, I haven't even enjoyed either of those recently.

No, the thing that caused me anxiety was producing enough "liquid" for the sample. This concern didn't dawn on me until I was in the waiting room. I downed a couple cups of water as I waited in the vain hope it would help me when I needed it. Sadly, this lab is well staffed and relatively automated so I didn't have long to wait. After going into the back and being asked if I had anything in my pockets, the lady handed me the collection container with a magic marker line drawn on the side and pointed me towards the restroom.

A minute or two later she bangs on the door, "come on out!" she yells loud enough for the waiting room and the people in the next building to hear. I exit with my head hanging low, I was short of the line. In a disappointed tone the lab assistant said, "I don't think this is enough." My heart sinks. Like so many things in life, I gave it all I had and was still lacking. She pours the collection container into the storage container. "I guess it's okay, she says." A reprieve, the pressure lifts, the sun shines bright, I am free, FREE, FREE.

Another of life's little hurdles has been cleared, but just barely.

Comments:
When I was in high school I had to go get a physical which included a urine test. I was worried about having your problem, so I drank like a gallon of water during my drive from Somersworth to Durham. THAT was a mistake. I had to go so bad by the time I got there that I barely made it. When they told me to have a seat in the waiting room, I BEGGED them to let me take the urine test right away.

peeing in a cup when you have to go really bad is also a little bit difficult.
 
i've never had a problem peeing in a cup. i take that back. i always have a problem not overflowing it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?