Wednesday, August 02, 2006

New Jobs

Since starting my career, I have changed jobs every couple years. Last year, I actually had several jobs in one year, but again, that is another story.

For me, the process of starting a new job is very predictable. The emotions, the anxiety, the concerns, the hassles, they are always the same and follow a natural progression towards a comfortable, confident and mostly-secure feeling. The pattern is becoming clearer to me with this new position.

In my last job it took about a month. We will see how long it takes in this new job. Hopefully less time, but in some ways this is a bigger transition with a new city and all that is entailed with the move.

Of course, at the same time I miss my family and the support of my lovely wife. On ATV trips to West Virginia, I was always surprised how much my friends missed their children after only 24 or 48 hours. Now I understand.

Comments:
I always have "oh my word. these people are so much smarter than me. they are going to figure out how dumb I am and fire me" moments when I start a new job.
 
Bingo.
 
I'm always afraid that I will do something really embarrasing like walk down the hall with my pants unzipped, or fall asleep in a meeting and then say something horribly inappropriate while sleep-talking.
 
Big A, I think those are on going concerns even after the first week of a new job.
 
You are right - however, it's always better to hide your little "quirks" until you are established. Once you've been there a few years, it's not such a big deal.
 
good point, Big A.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?