Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Riding Drought


2006 will likely go down as the year I have spent the least amount of time on an ATV since I started riding 22 years ago.

New baby, new job, moving, and geographic limitations have limited my ability to enjoy one of my favorite pastimes. Not that I am complaining, all of these circumstances were of my own creation. And there is no comparing the blessings of a new baby with even the best riding experience. Besides, I did make my fifth trip to the Hatfield McCoy Trails in West Virginia with friends in the spring.

Having said that, riding is an important component of my mental health regiment. It's a stress reliever. Even a bad day of riding helps me to unwind my mind. The sound, the views, the outdoors, the exhilaration of acceleration, the freedom, the challenge of a race or a tough trail, and the camaraderie... I just love to ride. I am a nicer, more patient person if I can go for a ride every now and then.

Rest assured, the sun is not setting on my riding career. In fact, a new day is dawning as one of my best riding buddies is relocating from the Granite State to the Old Dominion. 2007 will definitely include more riding than 2006... and who knows, there may be a couple good weekend trips left before the ball drops.

Comments:
What is that picture from?
 
washington national forest last november. you can camp right off the trail.

i haven't ridden at all since the west virginia. for similar reasons as rob. thats all gonna change. and i am going to buy a new machine for steph too...
 
soooo... is susan going to watch the kids while the three of you go riding?
 
Nah, we'll use single friends for that... it gives them a glimpse of what to expect.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?