Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Thanks alot Philly

This week I traveled to Philadelphia for a work related trip. It was the first time I had flown anywhere in more than a year. The screening process that used to be a minor inconvenience has become an outright hassle.

Leaving Richmond was bad enough: I had to take off my shoes, my coat, my jacket and place it all on the belt. Next I had to take my laptop out of its case and place both on the belt. Then my carry on bag had to go on the belt with my toiletry items, which I had put in a clear Ziploc bag, removed and placed on the belt separately. Finally, my cell phone, watch and keys… on the belt. After I cleared the mag, I had to put everything back together. I was a little annoyed, but not too bad, the TSA staff was gracious and efficient.

But, leaving Philadelphia was a bit more ridiculous. After completing all the aforementioned steps, I was told my Ziploc bag was too big. “Too big?!?” I asked. “Too big, it shouldn’t be more than one quart,” I was told. Why it matters what size my Ziploc bag is is beyond my cognitive ability to comprehend. The “helpful,” albeit somewhat terse, TSA agent disappeared for a moment and returned with a new quart sized Ziploc bag for my use. But my toothpaste was deemed to be too large. It would not be making the return trip to Richmond. Too bad, it was a nearly new tube. A fitting end to trip to a city that has so few redeeming qualities.

Comments:
Did you have to present documentation to prove that you weren't Jewish or didn't have any Jewish ancestry?
 
So it's bad enough that you took the whole tube of new toothpaste with you on your trip (forcing me to go into the closet, into my suitcase and dig out my travel size toothpaste to use for two days while you were gone), but now I have to find out from your blog that the new toothpaste has been apprehended by the TSA?
 
ooh - there are so many things I want to say but it would result in a comment longer than your original post. I'll settle for this:

I have always thought that they built Philly on the wrong side of the river - it really belongs in Jersey.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?