Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Humble Pie

Last week I got a good taste of humble pie courtesy of my lovely wife (MLW).

After our brilliant baby (OBB) went to sleep, we made chocolate fondue with sliced apples, sat down to watch the Sopranos on A&E and play a game of Scrabble. Quietly, I wondered if my multi-year Scrabble winning streak was about to come to an end. When you combine the fact that MLW is extremely smart and a gifted speller with the fact that my current job is slowly but surely making me dumber, I should have seen the tile pieces arranged on the wall. D-E-F-E-A-T.

From the opening word, I knew I was in trouble. I soldiered on in the hope of scoring a couple triple word scores to keep the streak alive. I even pulled ahead as we neared the middle part of the game, but "pride cometh before a fall." As the tiles became few and places to build dwindled, I got the dreaded "Q" tile. Even with the tiles to spell words like "quiet" and "quad", I couldn't close the deal. Like Benedict Arnold as he prepared to invade Canada during the Revolutionary War, I had waited too long. The game was lost.

The bitter taste of defeat and the smell of failure still plagues me. I can tell OBB knows, he doesn't look at me the same anymore. The streak is over and with it dies the last vestiges of a once proud Scrabble player.

Comments:
I too used to be a proud Scrabble player. The bitter taste of defeat never leaves. I consider the surrending of the Scrabble title the warning signs of early early early onset of Alzheimers. So, hey, look at the bright side, we can hang out a lot while our wives take care of us.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?