Monday, April 30, 2007

Adjective Inflation

My Lovely Wife and I enjoy visiting yard sales in search of treasures and bargains. We rarely find either, but we go on undeterred in our regular quests.

Since moving to Richmond, I have noticed an unhealthy trend in yard sale marketing. Signs for yard sales are using words like “Huge” and “XXL.” Unfortunately, when it comes to yard sales, these adjectives are subjective and easily exaggerated. There are no standards or accountability in place for yard sale sign adjectives. It’s quickly becoming the road side equivalent of SPAM. So in spite of the temptation, I am going to have to ignore adjectives of this type until yard sale patrons develop methods to validate and attest to yard sale size and quality. But, I won't hold my breath.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?