Sunday, October 12, 2008

Trailer 2.0



After 8 or more years of dutiful service hauling ATVs all around Virginia and the east coast, it is time for a little refresh of the old trailer. This became all the more urgent after last year's trip to West Virginia when it blew a tire doing about 75mph down a monster hill on I64 west of I81. As a reminder, the fender got bent up like a pretzel and the right taillight bid us adieu never to be seen again.



Starting during the summer, I began collecting parts from Craigslist, yard sales, Northern Tool, and Tractor Supply to facilitate the restoration process.

So far, I have: two Ford Ranger wheels and tires (freshly painted); new LED taillights; new corner and rear clearance lights (also LED); a new wiring harness; a new fender and fender mount; and new hardware for the rear gate.

Today, the disassembling process began. Surprisingly the steel in the fender broke and my novice weld stayed solid. I am as shocked as you are.



Nothing was lost on OBB who commented, "ahhh boo-boo tire."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?